Front Street Shipyard, Belfast, Maine
Gartley & Dorsky has been assisting the developers of Front Street Shipyard in Belfast since project conception in 2009. Gartley & Dorsky conducted due diligence
services including surveys, permitting evaluation, and extensive feasibility studies to determine the true development potential of the site prior
to purchase. When the current owners purchased the property in 2010, Gartley & Dorsky was engaged as the lead consultant. Since then, Gartley &
Dorsky has provided comprehensive civil engineering, structural engineering, permitting, and survey services for the ongoing development of the site.
Gartley & Dorsky developed a comprehensive site plan
combining thorough documentation of the existing
property and proposed improvements. Shoreland zoning,
flood plain management and DEP regulations all factored
into the final design for the site, proposed buildings and
marine structures. Project highlights include:
- Construction of a travel lift pier to accommodate one of
the State's largest marine travel lifts (165 ton capacity).
- Construction of a new high-bay boat building facility with
travel lift accessibility.
- Renovation of approximately 21,195 ft2 of existing
buildings to serve as boat-building, boat-repair and
component design and storage facilities.
- Construction of a 10,891 ft2 addition connecting two
renovated buildings, increasing boat-repair and storage
- Demolition of a severely neglected 11,700 ft2 two-story
reinforced concrete structure. Site is now stabilized,
raised above the flood elevation and prepared for outdoor
boat storage and future covered storage.
- Demolition of a severely deteriorated 6,120 ft2 two-story
wood-framed building. Proposed replacement structure
will house a brokerage facility, offices, conference rooms
and other yachting-related spaces.
- Construction of a 16 ft wide public boardwalk for walkers
and bicyclists along Belfast Harbor, connecting downtown
with the pedestrian bridge.
- Permits are currently being acquired to increase marina
float space by another 7,040 ft2.
- Worked with the owners and the City of Belfast to develop
a comprehensive master agreement and associated survey
plan to address land transfers, existing and proposed
easements, and other rights benefitting both the City and